Monday, September 17, 2012

EXCITING BIG PUBLICATION NEWS!!!

Friends!

The time has come where I can reveal the SUPER AMAZING FANTASTIC NEWS I'VE BEEN SITTING ON FOR AAAAAGES. (okay, maybe not aaaaages, but it feels like a long time because it's Just. So. Exciting!)


MY FIRST BOOK SERIES (AKA THE HUNTED) IS GETTING PUBLISHED!

Or, to quote Publisher's Marketplace:
Alex Kahler's MARTYR, in which a boy must use his chakra magic to fight the formerly human monsters who kidnapped his lover, and MENDER, to Patricia Riley   at Spencer Hill Press , in a nice deal, for publication in 2014, by Laurie McLean  at Larsen/Pomada Literary Agents   (world English). 
Translation & dramatic: laurie@agentsavant.com 



Isn't that AMAZING?
Even more amazing?

I'M GOING TO B.E.A. 2014

Right??
Not only are we talking big big exposure to my debut, but we're talking big big exposure to a debut series featuring strong gay protagonists. How wicked cool is that?

I'm so pumped to be working with Patricia and the entire crew at Spencer Hill Press, you've no idea. They're lovely, they're excited, and most importantly, they're really into the series. Big ideas are being thrown around that I look forward to sharing with you all very soon. Let's just say we're thinking beyond publishing a few (four, to be precise) novels....


And in case you didn't think my editor was amazing enough, she agreed to do a little interview with me. Which I'm sharing below.

Why did you pick up this series? 
Because I love it! I'm always excited to have the opportunity to acquire a book that I loved reading, especially one that surprises me. When I am considering a manuscript it is important to me that I enjoy it as a reader first, before considering it with my "editor brain" -- this story was an incredibly entertaining read from the very beginning and kept me reading much later than I planned to stay up that night! (And I LOVE to sleep, so I know it's a special book if I'd rather read it than sleep!) MARTYR was one of those books that I knew I was going to offer on as soon as I finished reading it, but it was also a story I couldn't stop thinking about for days after I finished it, which is equally important to me. The characters were a big part of why I couldn't stop thinking about this book, I loved them and there was so much about them that I wanted to know! I was also excited about potential for future books, the world building opens up so many directions that the series could go and I'm looking forward to "going exploring" (so to speak) as the later books in the series get mapped out!

What excites you the most about working on this project? 
So many things! I'm excited to work with such a creative author; I love working with artists who have backgrounds in multiple mediums as it always adds unexpected elements to the writing and editing process. I'm also excited to be working in an Urban Fantasy world, it's very different from my other projects (currently High Fantasy, Contemporary, and Paranormal) and every new genre comes with a new set of rules to play with.  

Who is your favorite character?
I loved the twins, but if I had to pick only ONE character... probably Tomás. I'm a sucker for the misunderstood antagonist and Tomás is so perfect at being just that! Plus, he's an incubus and I love the ways that WHAT he is affects who he is and how he goes about handling a variety of situations. (By which I mean, he has some fantastically steamy scenes!)

If you controlled an element, what would it be? 
I would probably be a combination of fire and water: I'm constantly transitioning between my emotional reactions and my passion for everything that I do. I am also very driven by my intuition, I tend to jump in head first when I feel as though I am onto something amazing. :)

Anything else to add?
I can't wait until MARTYR is released so that everyone can read it! I have so much more to say about it but ... SPOILERS! 



...and I'm going to hope that last little bit was a Dr. Who reference. Because Patricia's just that sort of lady, and that's why I love her.





So, keep your eyes peeled here and elsewhere as this builds and manifests! A huge thanks to all my friends, family, and amazing team (Laurie and Pam, here's looking at you) for keeping me going.
And remember.


This is only the beginning.
Love!!!

8 comments:

Tyler Jolley said...

Congrats Brother! Welcome to the SHP family!

Anna said...

Congrats Alex! I look forward to reading your book. :)

EKR said...

A huge congratulations Alex. Well deserved. Can't wait to see it.

Disgruntled Bear (Kate Kaynak) said...

Welcome to SHP!

Keshia Swaim said...

Yay! Welcome to the family. :)

A. R. Kahler said...

Thanks so much guys! I'm so glad to be a part of the family!

Emma Michaels said...

Congrats Alex!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey alex I've looking for your blog, I read your first chapter two years ago and. I'm really excited for you, it was really good. Congratulations!!!!

Post a Comment