Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Teaser Tuesday : Flathunting, or Why, Sometimes, Giving Up is a Good Thing

Dear Lovelies,

For those of you who've been following me from the beginning (aka three months and a continent ago), you've probably learned that if nothing else, I am persistent.  I work my ass off to achieve my goals and don't stop even after they've come to fruition.  Class A Workaholic.

In theory, I should be the type of person that requires meticulous control of everything.  I should suffer meltdowns when things don't go the way I want.

The reality is the opposite.
Today's Teaser comes after a series of seeming failures: flathunting.

I tried, I really did.  I was viewing flats online months before I got here.  Hell, even before I was accepted into the program.  But every time I tried to take the next step and have a viewing, something would come up.  Every time, the flat had just been taken--maybe even minutes before I'd shown up.  I figured, okay, clearly something better is coming along.  I just have to wait to find it.
And then, a wonderful thing happened: a flat found me.


Through a string of writerly connections, I was offered an amazing, homey 2 level, 2 bed flat for cheaper than most studios.  In the perfect location, for the perfect amount of time.  It even has a front and back garden.  And anyone living in a city knows, that combination is rare.

The point I'm trying to make is this: I'm a firm believer in working hard.  In fact, I don't think there's any other way forward.  But I also believe that working hard must go hand in hand with having a little bit of faith.
Sometimes, there's really nothing you can do to get what you think you want.
Sometimes, you need to try every possible angle only to give up and have something better offered.

This lesson is one I've experienced many times.  The moment life seems to be failing is the moment before life steps in and hands you a reward for all your hard work.  Sometimes we really don't know what we want, and it's almost like life has to sort it out for us.

Although relevant in all areas, I feel it's especially true in the writing world.  The entire pitching/querying process seems to embody the idea of working really, really hard to perfect something, only to throw it to the wind and let the right person find it.  It might have to bounce around a bit, but eventually--if you toe the line between letting go and working hard--it (or you) will find the right home.

2 comments:

Laurie McLean said...

Amen, Brother. I see this principle in action all the time. All. The. Time. Just when I say to someone in my family, "I'm done with XYZ. It's just not working," something even more miraculous and delicious comes around the bend from a different direction. Call it what you will. Divine intervention. The fruits of your hard labor finally harvested. You just gotta have a little faith in whatever outside force trips your trigger.

ashelynn hetland said...

Truth.

Post a Comment