Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Teaser Tuesdays : On Circus, Writing, and Wraiths

Okay guys, I have to come clean.  I hate Tuesdays.  I always have, always will.  There's something astrologically off about it, being the day of Mars or something like that, but long story short: everything bad happens on a Tuesday.  Which means, I need to find a way to look forward to these treacherous days.  And I have.  Presenting:






That's right!
Every Tuesday (or as often as I can remember) I'll be posting a small teaser on here.  It will be a veritable grab bag of goodies: writing previews, photographs/design, anecdotes, etc.  Whatever it takes to make me get out of bed with a smile.

In this, er, issue, I think it's time to play catch-up.


Circus


This past week I helped coach 50 kids in Ocala, Florida.
The goal?  Put on three shows with only three days to train and choreograph.
The process?  A week of crazy highs and physical exhaustion and complete sleep deprivation, a lot of pizza/Steak-n-shake/take-out, a club that was half rodeo bar, half rap club (no joke), and more fun than I've had in a long, long time.
The result?  Three incredible shows, acts that made me proud and brought me close to tears (I will never listen to "Fireflies" by Owl City the same way again), and a lot of smiling, amazing performers.
Overall? I remembered why I love teaching circus, and why I got involved with this crazy lifestyle in the first place: the people you meet are amazing and talented and generous with their skills and friendship, and the impact you have on those you meet extends far beyond putting on a good show.

Writing


On the technical side, I've hammered out the first 60+ pages of Martyr's re-write, which includes some serious plot and character changes I'm quite excited for.  I've also uploaded the third chapter to Wattpad, here : http://www.wattpad.com/1761175-chapter-three
Please read and comment!
On the "trying to get an agent" front, well... I don't want to jinx it, but if you've been following me on Twitter you've probably seen me freaking out from events that started this weekend.  All my fingers and toes are crossed.  By the end of the week, I'll either be crying because I'm really, really happy, or crying because I was too close for comfort.


Wraiths


So, you know I've been working on this "Hunter" series for a while, right?  Well, did you know I've been plotting this world for about 6 years now?  I not only have a book filled with factoids and potential plots, but I have a few college projects centered around it.  I live this world to such a frightening degree, I dream of it.

One of said projects was a series of photoshoots for my digital photo class (I majored in photo, dunno if that shows...) centered around the vampyres in the book.

The first I worked on, and also the one I'm happiest with, is a Wraith: a vampyre that feeds on magic.  And this is the real teaser, because this vamp isn't even mentioned in the first book, it's so badass.




I'd share more, but hey, I wouldn't have any more to post then.  You'll have to keep waiting. :)

This has been the first (!!) Teaser Tuesday.  I hope you enjoyed, and look forward to more next week!

1 comments:

Annie said...

let me be the first here to say that i love the photo. being non-visual, I have a hard time "seeing" characters as I read unless i get a thorough description. Nothing like a pic or drawing to do the trick.
I wouldn't mind seeing some shots of u "showing off" ur aerial skills...what do ya say??
Am holding my breath 4 u with getting an agent.

Post a Comment